[78-L] Margaret Whiting RIP

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:52:17 PST 2011

Butterfield is yet another musician who was a big drinker and could have had
a much bigger career. My former boss at Warner Bros. played in and arranged
for his band, and told me that he was frequently loaded by the last set on a
gig.

He had an entire book written for him by Gil Evans; several of these
arrangements were recorded for Westminster and the two 10" LPs are now hard
to find. Dan Morgenstern told me that he once asked Butterfield if he still
had the Evans book. He sheepishly told Dan no. What a tragedy.

Jeff Sultanof