[78-L] Pre-bop [was Five Faves]

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 20:37:37 PST 2011

I just played it. It was Jefferson to my ears. Although his solo was
original and ahead of its time
I cannot hear anything in it that I consider to be a precursor of the
revolutionary rhythm, substitutions, harmonics or extended chords
of bop. I'm obviously not a musician and I hope I'm using some terminology
that fits the subject. I don't really
know enough to give you a more musically educated opinion but I know what
bop sounds like and to me, Jefferson's solo was not.

Al S.