[78-L] Albert Coates

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Jan 7 22:39:46 PST 2011

On 1/6/2011 4:36 PM, Philip Carli wrote:
> I have a 11 1/2" British Pathe from about 1914 of two highly abridged
>movements
>from the Tchaikovsky 6th (the first recs. of any part of the work) by the
Pathe
>Symphony Orchestra, presumably under Lillian Bryant, and the speed at score
>pitch is 68 rpm -- honest.? I wondered because when I first got the disc I put
>it on at 90 and it was unrecognizeable gobbledygook,

No, you thought it was early Albert Coates.

I know Albert Coates is considered one of the fastest conductors of the 78 era,
but nothing could be faster than Leo Blech's recording of Schubert's Great C
Major, (variously No. 7, 8 or 9).  Also, strangely, the fastest performance I've
ever heard of the last movement of Haydn's "Surprise" Symphony is by the
notoriously slow conductor, Sergiu Celebedache.

db