[78-L] Glenn Edmunds and his Orchestra on Hollywood label - 'NOTFOR SALE'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jan 8 17:21:07 PST 2011

From: <78records at cdbpdx.com>
> I have a 10 inch 78 rpm record by Glenn Edmunds and his Orchestra on a
> Hollywood label that says 'for radio broadcast only', 'NOT FOR SALE'.
> The tunes are 'Tired of Love' and 'White River Road', matrix numbers are:
> W in a small circle plus 170509 & 170525 in the dead wax. I can't find
> those numbers anywhere to date the record. Is there such a thing as a
> matrix number library?
> Also, Glenn Edmunds seems to be just about unknown. I've spent the last
> few days searching for more recordings by him and found nothing. I did
> find sheet music for one of these songs, Tired Of Love, and it was
> copyrighted 1930 so I suspect this record is from then.
> I can't find anything like this label, either. Never seen it before. Is it
> a transcription or a DJ Sample record?
> Bugs me not knowing anything about this record. Any thoughts on:
> When was this disc was made?
> When were the songs were recorded?
> Did Glenn Edmunds ever make other records?
> What is the Hollywood label?

1) The 170* matrix series was used by Columbia for "private records." Seems
to me
there is (was?) a net-accessible listing for these?!

2) There was a Hollywood label in the mid-twenties; it was pressed in
California. NO
idea if this disc relates to the CA Hollywood/Sunset, though...?!

Steven C. Barr