[78-L] Cecil and Sally Radio Transcriptions - One last question - How Many?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 6 19:29:09 PST 2011

On 1/6/2011 7:42 PM, Elizabeth McLeod wrote:
> on 1/6/11 12:00 AM David Lennick wrote:
>
>> Also, laminated records couldn't be part of the regrind program, although
>> it's
>> possible that the discs were to be destroyed after broadcast in any case. Or
>> returned. Or bicycled to the next station.
>
> When "Amos 'n' Andy" was distributed by syndication in 1928-29, the discs
> were supposed to be returned to the Chicago Daily News after one
> broadcast -- where they were supposed to be destroyed. The fear was that
> copies left intact would find their way to unauthorized rebroadcasts, so
> they tried to be as thorough as possible about disposing of them after
> use. I'd imagine the "Cecil and Sally" contracts would have been similar,
> since they followed the A&A syndication model pretty closely.

Except for vigilant destruction of the discs..based on the reports we had
earlier this week, I think we know of a lot more C&S programs surviving,
compared with Amos & Andy.

Was Signal Oil one of their local sponsors? Seems to me I have a disc of intros.

> The creator of C&S, Johnny Patrick, later won a Pulitzer Prize for
> "Teahouse of the August Moon." But you'd never know it from listening to
> these shows.
>
> Elizabeth

Hey, Herman Wouk wrote for Fred Allen. Okay, slight difference. Let's see..old
"Easy Aces" scripts became the basis for a Canadian tv sitcom considered the
worst ever, "Trouble With Tracy". No, that's not right either..