[78-L] Cecil and Sally Radio Transcriptions - One last question - How Many?

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Thu Jan 6 16:42:34 PST 2011

on 1/6/11 12:00 AM David Lennick wrote:

>Also, laminated records couldn't be part of the regrind program, although
>it's
>possible that the discs were to be destroyed after broadcast in any case. Or
>returned. Or bicycled to the next station.

When "Amos 'n' Andy" was distributed by syndication in 1928-29, the discs
were supposed to be returned to the Chicago Daily News after one
broadcast -- where they were supposed to be destroyed. The fear was that
copies left intact would find their way to unauthorized rebroadcasts, so
they tried to be as thorough as possible about disposing of them after
use. I'd imagine the "Cecil and Sally" contracts would have been similar,
since they followed the A&A syndication model pretty closely.

The creator of C&S, Johnny Patrick, later won a Pulitzer Prize for
"Teahouse of the August Moon." But you'd never know it from listening to
these shows.

Elizabeth