[78-L] First eBay problem

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Thu Dec 30 20:03:39 PST 2010

As an ebay seller, in the description of my listings, I indicate that within USA, insurance is mandatory.  There seems, however, to be a slight problem with ebay.  For domestic shipping, I indicate USPS media mail.  Ebay automatically shows a shipping charge of $4, but that doesn't even cover the cost of postage and insurance.  The insurance fee for up to $50 value is $1.75.  My descriptions mention what the cost is for shipping one LP or 78, as the case may be, with insurance, and that amount supercedes the amount listed by ebay at the top of the listing, In most cases, that hasn' t been much of a problem, as buyers have waited for me to send invoice.  Some buyers, however, send payment almost immediately after they've been notified that they were the successful bidder and, in the process, use the $4 shipping amount  After I bring to their attention the section of the description regarding the actual shipping cost, they send the balance.  That said, there was a successful bidder from last week who sent payment including the $4 shipping amount and has failed to respond to two emails I sent advising of the balance owed. With regard to overseas shipments, I indicate that any parcel of $40 or more in value will be sent via first class international mail and registered - or any method designated by the buyer for which a tracking number is assigned.  The description indicates that registration, in most cases, adds $11.50 to the base shipping price.  If a parcel under $40 value is reported as not delivered, then I am willing to eat the cost of the item. Art