[78-L] Me and "Me and Orson Welles"

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 2 23:06:56 PST 2011

On 1/2/2011 4:47 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 10:18 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
>> Additional comments about the broadcast scene.  The scripts would not be
>> stapled down the left margin, only in the corner, and the actors would
>> remove the staples for the broadcast.  Turning stapled pages is too
>> noisy.
> The scripts my parents brought home from CBC programs had large paper clips,
> never staples.  TV scripts could be stapled down the left or put in soft
> folders, since you'd never take those on set after you'd memorized them.
>
> dl

In general our scripts would be stapled top left corner and we would
leave them in for rehearsal, but one of the first things I was taught
was to always remove the staples for performance.  If my lines were near
the bottom of a page I would  carefully slide the page up as it got to
the end so that you would smoothly go right onto the next page, than
carefully slide the old page onto the back.

TV and movie scripts are bound, but never radio.  Another difference is
that radio studios did not ring a bell and have someone yell "Places" as
they did at the start of this scene.  That's the problem when you have
movie people pretending to do radio.  They think it was done the same.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com