[78-L] Metropolitan Opera broadcasts in the old house

Kevin P. Mostyn lists at mostyn.com
Mon Dec 27 10:59:02 PST 2010

Now that the Library of Congress Sonic catalog is back on line (it was down
last night for routine maintenance), I am able to see at least a dozen full
length recordings of MET Opera broadcasts from the 1930s, in the NBC
Collection, starting about 1936. Linechecks, not airchecks. Made by NBC. I
invite you to verify this for yourself.

http://lcweb5.loc.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/1978546/sonic.txt?action=-oyQK

I am aware of other NBC MET Opera linechecks in private collections.

So the alleged absence of NBC linechecks of the MET Opera in the 1930s turns
out to be a canard.

While the Met contract with NBC may very well have specified that "no
recordings were to be made by the network at all", it is indisputable that
many were made nonetheless. Murder is strictly illegal, yet it happens every
day.

As for the January 4, 1941 Met broadcast of Wagner's "Tannhauser," which was
the instant cause of this thread, please note that the NBC discs of this
broadcast are at the LoC. Certainly I am not the only one on this maillist
who knows that the NBC Archive, when still in NYC, was somewhat "porous."
Essentially all of the MET Opera pirate recordings sourced from actual
linechecks of the 1930s and 1940s, were copied from the NBC transcription
discs when still in NYC. Certain well-known personages had sub-rosa access
to the NBC Archive and copies were routinely made for these people. A wise
man once told me that "you can get anything you want in this world, if you
want it badly enough."

--Kevin Mostyn