[78-L] First 78 & my filing system

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Dec 21 19:39:29 PST 2010

From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
>> Well my 78's, 45's, LP's & radio station transcription discs are all on
>> shelves
>> in my home. Like some of you I've slowed way down in my collecting (or I
>> could
>> say accumulating) of more records. Basically I'm running out of room &
>> will need
>> to air condition the garage one day for more record storage!! I'd hate to
>> have
>> to rent climate controlled storage for some of my records. Anybody doing
>> that?
>> The collection is separated by speed of course then by type of music.
>> Alphabetical by artsist except classical which is alphabetical by
>> composer. And
>> yes I have my share of doubles & triples of a record (in the same speed)
>> mainly
>> because of upgrading condition but then I usually keep the other copy as
>> backup. Also I've got 45's & 78's of the same singles from the 1950's
>> bought on
>> purpose so that I'd have both of them. But then there are quite a few
>> records
>> where I have the 78 (or the 45) & I'm trying to track down the other
>> speed!!
>> Thats not always easy even with Ebay....
> --------------------------
> On my database I have a main, 10" section, of artists of which my
> intention is not necessarily completion. Then I have various sections of
> "special interests", which I would like to complete such as Raymond
> Scott and similar groups, Chick Bullock, Scrappy Lambert, Dick
> Robertson, Smith Ballew, Lionel Hampton (I have his complete Victors),
> Hoosier Hot Shots and Doc Evans. Some artists in the main section are
> "flagged" for easy search like various Benny Goodman groups (BG3, BG4,
> BG6, BGO). Also some genres like Western Swing and accordion records.
>
> I have a 12" section and ones for EPs, 10" LPs and 12" LPs. Previously
> sometimes I had difficulty finding a particular item. At least now I
> know I have it even if I can't readily put my hands on it.

Until c. 20 years ago, I had my 78's in label + catalog number in a nicely
sorted bunch of milk boxes kept in a DRY basement, with boxes given
numbers in that order. At that point, a "friend" (HA!) hired a crew to
load (and eventually move) these milk boxes out here to Oshawa. Sadly
the cheap help DIDN'T notice that the boxes were in order (they had NO
idea of the weight of 78's...they rented a 5-ton van to move the 20,000
or so 78's from 211 Pape to Oshawa, and it was OVERloaded well
before ir was full...?!). The only records lost (broken) were in one
partially full box...!)

UCSB has asked me to beqeath them my archive...I'll let THEM figure
out how to get it from Ont'o to Calif...?!

Steven C. Barfr