[78-L] First 78

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Dec 21 11:16:52 PST 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

Julian Vein wrote:

> No, not the first 78 you bought, but which is the first one on your
> shelves? Mine is "In Pinetop's Footsteps" by Teddy Powell on Bluebird
> B11276.

Like other folkses here, I have several shelves, but since I'm "The
Victor Freak" and consider Victor "first" in my collection, my answer
would be Victor 363, "Zampa Overture" by Sousa's Band. (10-inch
version, take 3, 4 or 5; I don't know which for sure here at work).

My copy of that Teddy Powell Bluebird is stored in an album rather
than "on the shelf." For certain artists of interest, I collect the
records in 10- and 12-pocket albums, by label and catalog number
(leaving open pockets for records by that artist not yet acquired).
All other records are stored by label and catalog number on shelves,
in left-to-right top-to-bottom order. Thus far (in 42 years of
collecting), my collection amounts only to about a fourth of the
eminent Mr. Lennick's cache.

You didn't ask, but the first 78 I actually purchased was RCA Victor
20-3427 by Tommy Dorsey, one of eight 78s purchased at Eck's New And
Used at SE 64th and Foster Road in Portland, Oregon, for 10 cents
each, on February 29, 1972 (approximately 4:20 PM PST). Prior to
that, my collection consisted of LPs, mostly Reader's Digest box
sets, and one 78 (Bluebird B-11430) given me by a friend's father.

TMI?

Take care,

Joe
--
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have
never forgotten this."--Anonymous