[78-L] Scranton Sirens

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Dec 4 16:09:00 PST 2010

Vince is correct. There are 3 articles in RR in the last 3 issues,
#249/50, 251/52 & 253/54. The record labels you scanned appear on the
covers of each.
Lenny posits in 249 that the 2 Sirens sides were recorded and custom
pressed by OKeh in New York. He guesses the record was recorded in the
Spring or Summer of 1923 but bemoans that he has no matrix numbers to go by.
The 2nd issue, vol 251, uncovers a collector who owned the record: Bill
Challis. The mxes are SRP-S-4 and SRP-S-5 which Challis gives in his
letter to Lenny of 07/13/92.
The last of the 3 issues, vol 253, mentions that Lenny got a cassette
copy of the record from correspondent Gus Kuhlman c. 05/16/93. Also that
there is an article in a 1940 issue of Metronome (or is that the issue
number?) by Amy Lee that's is of interest in all this. There's also a
different letter that concludes that because both the OKeh releases by
the band has an "S" in the matrix, as do the mx numbers on the Sirens
issue, that the private issue was indeed pressed by OKeh. Pretty thin,
evidence, I'd say.
As we know RR 253/254 was Lenny's last issue before he passed and there
is no more info to be had on the topic. Lenny does mention that there
would be more from him about this in the next issue. He says that there
"...was a fascinating (sic) from 'The Scrantonian' newsy issue dated
Sunday, Nov. 4, 1962 which has good info. on Irving Riskin and the
'Sirens'."
Malcolm

*******