[78-L] Hank Snow

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Dec 4 13:38:56 PST 2010

If they say "Bluebird Series" they are definitely not original issues. That
designation didn't appear on Canadian labels till after 1945 or 1946.
Incidentally, I suspect that Hank's 1943 sides were recorded somewhere other
than RCA's Montreal studios, since Victor was adhering to the AFM ban at the
time. The quality is different on the ones I've heard, including mike pops and
other technical problems that wouldn't have been allowed even on Canadian
Victor's normally crappy recordings, but if they were brought in from outside,
Hugh Joseph probably looked the other way and issued  them.

dl

In Hank Snow's autobiography, he mentions that he did recordings on the sly in a
studio during the strike and that they were subsequently issued.  He often
expressed disenchantment with the A.F. of M. and the treatment he received from
them and, I guess, if he was making records during the strike, it's not
surprising that they were not friendly towards him.

There is actually a lot of bitterness expressed in this book, particularly
towards Colonel Tom Parker, (of whom he said he would never call him "Colonel"
because he was no such thing).

db