[78-L] Chick Webb vinyl tests (was: LYRIC Label by LYRAPHONE, Newark NJ.)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 3 21:49:08 PST 2010

Ruth Lowe wrote "I'll Never Smile Again", "Put Your Dreams Away" and whatever
the song was on this pressing (I'm not near it at the moment and I don't
recognize any titles from the Tony Martin listing in Rust). It could have been
a sample copy for Lowe although it turned up in a CBC cabinet, where it
wouldn't have been broadcast because of Compo's radio ban in the 40s.

Compo was a big producer of transcriptions in Canada. Mind you, in the mid 30s
they were on shellac..heavier shellac than their commercial pressings. Come to
think of it, I have a number of test pressings by Max Boag's Skater's Band from
the early 40s and these are all vinyl. Oversized, too.

I've seen Federal Symphony transcriptions pressed by US Decca and I'm sure they
were shellac.

dl