[78-L] Chick Webb vinyl tests (was: LYRIC Label by LYRAPHONE, Newark NJ.)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 3 21:37:13 PST 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] Chick Webb vinyl tests (was: LYRIC Label by
LYRAPHONE, Newark NJ.)
From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, December 04, 2010 12:17 am
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

> For what it's worth,

It is on-topic for this subject . . .

> I have a vinyl Decca test from about 1941,

. . .  unless it is a Canadian pressing.

> made by Compo in Canada.

Dooh.

> Tony Martin singing a Ruth Lowe song, so it might have been a
> special pressing for Ruth in Toronto.

Was she something special who deserved a vinyl test?  Actually, I think
Compo was doing a lot of vinyl at that point because the pressings they
did in 1940 of the Frank L. Capps recording of Woodrow Willson's 1923
Armistace Day broadcast were vinyl.

> All US Decca tests I've ever seen from before the late 40s have been shellac.
> I think Decca even pressed transcriptions on shellac before acquiring World.

One of the 1936 Norge ETs I have has a big bite out of it, and I think
it is shellac, not any thicker than a regular record.  But I just got
three Decca ETs from the Nauction and they seem to possibly be something
like styrene.

> BANG! Was that a gun? Say, speaking of guns.... (old joke)  dl

START A NEW THREAD!!!   Sheeeeeesh!

Mike (or if it is a joke, go to 78-H) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com