[78-L] Canadian Ace

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Nov 25 20:19:46 PST 2010

From: David Lennick
> That's a label I don't think I've seen before, but Compo had all sorts of
> label
names..like Winchester, which produced one release (I think). Joe Showler
would
have known of 351024, being the Teagarden expert. There were quite a few
double
length issues produced by Compo in the early 30s, and they tried to get an
echo
effect by playing two copies of the disc slightly out of sync..must have
required four turntables and a lot of patience, especially when they'd run
out
of groove space (Merde! Zut alors! Encore une fois).

As I noted, Compo introduced and promoted a handful of "two-songs-per-side"
labels in 1931-32. These probably cost more than ordinary issues; as a
result they are all but impossible to find (and I've been looking for a few
DECADES!)! Many/most of the odd labels (like, I assume, Winchester?!) were
client labels, pressed at a customer's request...?! The REALLY odd Compo
issue is/was a French-language 2-song/side disc; IIRC it is in an 18###
series?!

Steven C. Barr