[78-L] Average age

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Nov 13 17:29:54 PST 2010

From: David Lennick
> I wish I had that stuff..most of it was very funny and well written and
> for
better or worse, shaped my sense of humor and outlook on the world. In the
case
of parodies, they made me want to seek out the originals. Adventure and
super
hero comics get reprinted and anthologized, but the real "comic" stuff
(except
for MAD) never seems to turn up. Aside from huge expensive bound reprints of
newspaper strips like Popeye and Peanuts. I want to read Donald Duck's
conversion to "Flipism" again, gang..it's only been 58 years..

I first encountered Mad (and its style of humour) around 1953...I was a
student at Chicago's Francis W. Parker...as well as a dedicated fan of
Mad (then only parodies of better-known strips...?!) and Walt Kelly's
Pogo (strips and books!). OTOH, I also listened to "National Barn
Dance" every Saturday night (mostly in hopes of hearing Homer and
Jethro...?!). "Parker" was a very strange place to be an
"almost-teenager"...
then, in 1954, my dad went broke and my "alma mater" suddenly
became Waynesville Community Consolidated Elementary School
(then McLean-Waynesville...a few years later McLean-Waynesville-
Armington...finally "Olympia!"). Needless to say, stuff like Mad was
foreign to my small-town classmates...?!

Steven C. Barr