[78-L] Average age

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Nov 14 19:17:19 PST 2010

From: neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
> Amazing. Occasionally I encounter an old radio show (back to topic) that
aired on the day I was born. I don't think I've ever found a TV show.

Prior to c. 1956, there was NO practical way of recording and thus
preserving television. Insofar as archives still exist they do so as
"kinescopes"...movie films used for delayed broadcast...! Thereafter,
Beta and its successors made it possible to record (and preserve,
although that was seldom done) television content. Not too long
thereafter, "home" video recorders became available (for VERY
high prices at first...!) so individuals could record/preserve TV
content...!

However AFAIK there is NO organized effort to collect and organize
extant TV-program "home" recordings (HINT HINT HINT...!) insofar
as they accidentally still exist...?! One hopes that to-day's "baby-
boomers" (for whom TV is a major part of their past...?!) will step
in and organize an operation to acquire and preserve "video tapes"
to the extent they still exist...?!

Steven C. Barr