[78-L] Average age

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Nov 12 16:50:51 PST 2010

From: Dan Van Landingham
> My first reel to reel recorder was an old Webcor tube job I was given back
> in
1970 by my band teacher
> Dick Brown.I used it until it quit back around 1972.I've been into reel to
> reel
ever since.I left my TEAC
> back in Lometa,Texas in 2004 when I moved back here to North Bend that
> year.I
gave $3.50 for it at
> a garage sale when I was living in Myrtle Creek,Oregon.I have no idea just
> when
> Webster-Chicago made the recorder other than it was a model 2010.I could
> have
bought another one like it about fifteen years ago but passed on it.

Around 1973, I acquired a VERY nice Sony r2r stereo deck, which my brother
had purchased quite cheaply while serving in Viet Nam a few years earlier.
I used this as the "core" of my sound system for a number of years; however,
a bunch of EX-friends decided that since I had suffered a concussion in an
icy-sidewalk fall in February, 1976...ALL my belongings should be sold off
(they had heard the words "brain damage" and assumed I would be a
"vegetable" for my ensuing years...?!). The Sony deck (and my other stuff)
were all quickly sold for horribly low prices, in an impromptu "estate sale"
(and I wasn't, nor am I yet, dead...?!)!

I think/hope I still own a r2r deck I bought at Value Village c. 1998?!

Steven C. Barr