[78-L] Average age

Dave at Audio Tech Transfer audiotechtransfer at bresnan.net
Thu Nov 11 18:54:44 PST 2010

Greetings from Big Wonderful Wyoming!

At 53, I'm probably close to the "average age."

Although I'd been collecting LPs since the late '60s, it wasn't until five years ago that I bought my first 78.  I'd purchased a lot of 1,200 records and about 250 of them were 78s.  Most were more common Pop & Classical, but there were also some very interesting Blues and R&B from the early '50s, and a bunch of Billie Holiday records.  So naturally I had to acquire a turntable with 78 rpm capability.  I found a three speed BSR and fitted it with a Stanton 500.  When I started spinning those 78s, I was absolutely amazed at how good they sounded.  In the past few years I've upgraded to a Technics SP-15, a variable EQ phono preamp, and an array of six styli for spinning 78s.  I now have about 6,000 discs.  About 25% of them are white label promo vinyl pressings in beautiful shape.

I was spinning some near mint Phil Harris and Louis Prima discs earlier today.  Great stuff.  I recently cleaned up a pile of Edison Diamond Discs and have been enjoying those.  Can you believe that some muttonhead obviously played a few of these Edison discs on a Victrola?  Totally destroyed the grooves.  :-(  However, some of these Diamond Discs are among the best acoustic recordings I've ever heard.

My continuing exploration of music from a long by-gone era has been fascinating and very rewarding.  78s are a much cherished part of my collection.

Dave Rose
"Cactus Cowboy"
Powell, Wyoming