[78-L] Average age

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Nov 12 15:44:18 PST 2010

From: Stewart, Joseph R
Dan Van Landingham wrote,
> > "I haven't seen a high fidelity magazine like Audio or Stereo Review in
> > about 25 years."
> Ever seen "Stereophile" or "The Absolute Sound" on newsstands? They're
> aimed at the "high-end" audiophile(phool?), but still they're about as
> close to "High Fidelity," "Audio" or "Stereo Review" as you can get these
> days.  Most of the more "mainstream" magazines that cater to what used to
> be the "stereo" audience are in the "home-theatre" genre.
>
> Oh, yeah, I'll be 54 next Friday, and have been collecting 78s since I was
> a teenager.

Hmm-m-m...didn't think to mention that! Since I started collecting (or, more
accurately,
accumulating?!) 78's in (IIRC) 1972, I was just about to turn 30 (on
10/22/72) at the
time. However, I had been listening to my dad's 300-odd 78's since 1946
(maybe
earlier...?!) and would eventually inherit those (and another c.100 of my
grandmother's)
in 1974...no one else in the family wanted the records!

Steven C. Barr