[78-L] Average age

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Fri Nov 12 15:08:06 PST 2010

I'm 63 and I like to tell people that I began collecting records before I knew it was a disease.  Not sure how many 78-L'ers have seen the series this week on NBC Nightly News about people who have downsized.  You may be able to see the segments at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/ns/nightly_news.  Scroll down a bit to see viewer comments on the "Living with Less" series.  The initially segment, broadcast on Monday, featured a young man, living in a studio apartment, who claimed everything he owns would fit in the two suitcases shown.  Wouldn't that be an interesting topic for a reality TV show?!! Coincidentally, there is, in today's Newsday, among the classified ads for garage and estate sales, a two line ad by resident of Roslyn Heights for a sale on Saturday (13th) - "Reformed shoppaholic selling all."  For those unfamiliar with the newspaper, Newsday is the Long Island daily that covers the two counties east of New York City.  Movie buffs may recall that the paper's name and logo were used as that for which the fictional reporter worked. ... And, coincidentally, the ad immediately above that of the reformed shoppaholic is one that mentions Victor Victrola being among the objects for sale. A useful site for estate sales is http://www.estatesales.net.  Unfortunately for our neighbors to the north, the site seems to be restricted geographically to the USA.  Of course, anyone can access the site, so Canadians can easily check out sales in the border areas if they are so inclined.  Keep in mind that, from the home page, after you've clicked on a state, there will be a list of cities.  When you click on a city link, the list of sales that will appear will often include suburban areas.  Thus, clicking on New York City will also bring up a listing on sales in NJ, Long Island, southwest CT and the northern NYC suburbs. Art