[78-L] Average age

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Nov 12 17:06:16 PST 2010

From: zimrec at juno.com
> I'm 63 and I like to tell people that I began collecting records before I
> knew it was a disease.  Not sure how many 78-L'ers have seen the series
> this week on NBC Nightly News about people who have downsized.  You may be
> able to see the segments at
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/ns/nightly_news.  Scroll down a bit to
> see viewer comments on the "Living with Less" series.  The initially
> segment, broadcast on Monday, featured a young man, living in a studio
> apartment, who claimed everything he owns would fit in the two suitcases
> shown.  Wouldn't that be an interesting topic for a reality TV show?!!
> Coincidentally, there is, in today's Newsday, among the classified ads for
> garage and estate sales, a two line ad by resident of Roslyn Heights for a
> sale on Saturday (13th) - "Reformed shoppaholic selling all."  For those
> unfamiliar with the newspaper, Newsday is the Long Island daily that
> covers the two counties east of New York City.  Movie buffs may recall
> that the paper's na
me and logo were used as that for which the fictional reporter worked. ...
And, coincidentally, the ad immediately above that of the reformed
shoppaholic is one that mentions Victor Victrola being among the objects for
sale. A useful site for estate sales is http://www.estatesales.net.
Unfortunately for our neighbors to the north, the site seems to be
restricted geographically to the USA.  Of course, anyone can access the
site, so Canadians can easily check out sales in the border areas if they
are so inclined.  Keep in mind that, from the home page, after you've
clicked on a state, there will be a list of cities.  When you click on a
city link, the list of sales that will appear will often include suburban
areas.  Thus, clicking on New York City will also bring up a listing on
sales in NJ, Long Island, southwest CT and the northern NYC suburbs. Art

What these idio...er, people...FAIL to realize is the simple fact that the
"antiques" much beloved
by to-day's householders would NOT still exist were it not for us "crazy
pack-rats" who hung
onto them when they were dismissed as "ugly old junk"...?!

So, in a decade or so when to-day's self-righteous DE-clutters are setting
up
households and buying OVER-priced "antiques" (apparently, thanks to aging
baby-boomers, one of the hottest items in to-day's "antique" market is
original
fifties furniture...?!)...they will conveniently forget that "antiques" were
preserved
when they were merely "old junk" by us pack rat types...?!

Steven C. Barr