[78-L] Average Age

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 07:19:09 PST 2010

Well, I'm 63, but that's not the point of this post.

We sometimes get bogged down on topics like this by assuming that we on 78-l represent the true demographic of 78 collectors.  We may or we may not be a representative sample.  We need to remember that are 78 collectors not on this list that may or may not be what we think of as typical.  For example, Andy Schum and Dave Bock, to my knowledge, are not on 78-l but they are collectors of old jazz and hot dance orchestra 78s.

Andy Schum is a full time jazz musician working mostly in traditional jazz, playing cornet and piano.  He is 26 years old.

Dave Bock is  a traditional jazz trombonist.  He is 23 years old.  I discovered Andy and Dave on Facebook and then on YouTube.

Here is a clip of both of them in action earlier this year.  You will also notice Vince Giordano on bass sax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzSzSt7X9LI

Andy is an accomplished arranger also, and has transcribed many arrangements from the original 78s.

Roger Wade
Really Old Records

http://www.reallyoldrecords.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Really-Old-Records?RefID=store