[78-L] Beiderbecke TV series on BBC

Graeme Jaye gj at telefonica.net
Mon Nov 8 07:14:54 PST 2010

Hi All

On 08/11/2010 Julian Vein wrote;

JV> JOHN WRIGHT wrote:

>> The Beiderbecke Affair etc did NOT feature ANY music played by Bix.
>> Bix rarely mentioned in the scripts. Non-jazz fans learned nothing about
>> him.

JV> I thought it was a waste of time because they came out about the
JV> same time as the Sunbeam Complete Bix LP series, which made the
JV> hunt for Bix's records seem rather redundant.

The point everyone seems to have missed is that this programme was
never supposed, nor intended, to have anything directly to do with
Beiderbecke. It wasn't even about music!

The main protagonist was portrayed as a jazz fan - although that was
not the thrust of the plot - hence the rather catchy title given to
the series. To call it the "Beiderbecke TV series" is giving it a
credence which was never intended and I think our overseas cousins
have missed the point entirely.

Graeme Jaye

graemejaye at iname.com

Audio Restoration and Location Sound Recording
http://www.personal-cd.com

Hobby Musician - find some of my stuff here
http://www.indiehitz.net/html/bands/19/