[78-L] Beiderbecke TV series on BBC

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 18:20:17 PST 2010

This sounds very similar to the Billie Holiday special I saw yesterday on
Ovation TV.There was
much of her life that was left out such as her relationship to Lester Young and
Freddie Green and
her marijuana use in the '30s as well as her 1941 marriage to Jimmy
Monroe(brother of Clark

Monroe who owned "Monroe's Uptown House")which took place in Elkton,Maryland and
who
introduced her to heroin and to her "marriage" to trumpeter Joe Guy around
1945.Guy and Holiday
were together when she went to prison in 1947.Guy appearantly led her 1945 big
band.He vanish-
ed after 1947;I don't know what ever became of him.The only recorded work I ever
heard by him
was Cootie Williams' 1942 Columbia recording of "Fly Right" a/k/a "Epistrophy"
which was unis-
sued until 1966(on the Columbia LP "The Sound of Harlem" according to Ira
Gitler).The special
also claimed she cut her last album in 1958 for Columbia-"Lady in Satin"
conducted by Ray Ellis.I
was of the impression she cut her last album for MGM in 1959.