[78-L] Walter Winchell

Steven stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Nov 8 19:46:58 PST 2010

From: Dan Van Landingham
> Was Crown one of those labels swallowed up by Columbia?I once saw a Jack
Teagarden recording from the early '30s that appeared on Epic's 4 box set of
"King of the Blues Trombone".I had a couple of complete sets of it once.I am
less
familiar with Crown than,say, those Columbia wound up owning like
Harmony-Velvet Tone and OKeh.

If you are talking about the short-lived Crown label (apparently pressed for
Woolworth?!) of 1930-c.1933...this seems to have been created by/for
artists like Adrian Schubert (sp?) who were "left over" when the American
Record Corporation was assembled in late 1929. ARC staggered along
during this depression era...eventually issuing records on a YY-MM-##
series on all its surviving labels until mid-1937 (not all the labels lasted
that long, though!).

Eli Oberstein had been working for Victor at that point; he apparently
held onto some of the last Crown masters, which he reissued on his
postwar labels (but nobody sued him...!). Crown (which MAY have
been involved with the final issues on Radiex et al?) appears to have
disappeared without a trace c. 1933-34?

Steven C. Barr