[78-L] Walter Winchell

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 8 19:18:55 PST 2010

Crown may or may not be an orphan label, but Savoy (and its successors,
currently owned by Denon I think) claimed to own it by virtue of "owning" the
rights to Varsity masters which included many originals from Crown. Columbia
had no direct right of succession to it but could have tried to license a track
or just used it and made a "best effort" to determine the owner.

Columbia always owned Harmony and Velvet-Tone, and acquired OKeh in 1926.

dl