[78-L] "Protection" and other problems

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Sun Nov 7 13:25:56 PST 2010

Benno wrote:
"Practically speaking, for a US based seller there are three possibilities. 1) Either you stick to the PayPal rules and ship by expensive courier service (FedEx, UPS) or USPS Express Mail International with delivery confirmation - but then you may lose some customers for high shipping costs. ..."

I ship via International First Class Mail which, normally, cannot be traced once handed over to the local postal clerk.
Up to a certain amount, I am willing to take my chances that the item will be delivered.  However, for parcels with
a value over $40, I indicate that I will ship via registered mail or any other method of the buyer's choosing by which
a tracking number is assigned.  Registration, in most cases, adds USD 11.50 to the cost of postage.

I state the above terms in my ebay listings and have had no problems except for one Asian bidder who won only
a single LP and apparently hadn't sufficiently read my shipping terms.  I was able to terminate the sale amicably and
ebay refunded my listing fee and commission charge.

Art