[78-L] Gerald Clark - banjo? guitar?

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sun Nov 7 12:58:20 PST 2010

The notes for the Brunswick reissue album B-1023 regarding Gerald Clark's Night Owls were based on Houdini's recollection years later and are somewhat incorrect.  I haven't listened to these for quite some time, but I seem to remember hearing both Clark's guitar and the banjo of Charlie Vicento on many if not all of these sides.  You can hear Vicento's banjo on many of the New York Trinidadian recordings from the late 1920s/early 1930s with Houdini, Clark, and Belasco.  Vicento was first identified to me by Clark's late nephew, who was a remarkable person and a guitar maker of considerable repute.

We never did conclusively identify Clark as banjo player in our Jazz Oracle Manning notes.  Always noted as "poss" when we linked Clark to the banjo./steve