[78-L] Need Help Identifying A Label

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Nov 5 18:46:34 PDT 2010

This is a blackened out Metro label.
The Rex/Rem Hwd labels look like a copy of the Metro label, with less detail visible in
the buildings in the logo.
This applies to all available images of these labels.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Whether this label was related to Asch's Disc label was something I asked back in February and don't believe I ever got a definitive answer on that.  However, some of the story of the Metro, Rex, Rem story is told in the liner notes to the Charles 'Baron' Mingus West Coast 1945-1949 CD.  Liner notes by Andrew Homzy.
The label was run by Maurice Rappaport, who had a record store, Rex Records, in Hollywood and the label started out as Metro.  He promised to pay the musicians royalties based on sales.  That never happened. MGM threatened suit because of the name so he changed it to Rex.  He then gets a letter from someone in England who says he owns the name Rex so he changes it to Rem.  Many of the Rex discs sold had the name blackened out on later issues.  That would explain your discs.
Rappaport never paid the royalties to artists and when also slapped with tax evasion in the 50s he went to Mexico. Eventually was caught.  Bum.  I'll guess that he stole the label design from Asch based on his other dealings!

Glenn

<<<