[78-L] Ray Hetherton

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Oct 26 14:59:58 PDT 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

Dan Van Landingham wrote:

> I wasn't aware of that recording.I am more familiar with Crosby by
> way of the
> Victors Bix Beiderbecke recorded between 1927 and '28.And then
> there were
> the Columbias from 1929.What year did Whiteman return to Victor?

1931. (Chicago, 30 Sept. and 1 Oct.; mxs 67591/6)

Whiteman (with Bix) started recording for Columbia in May 1928.

> I have a Victor of Whiteman doing a song called "I Don't Suppose"
> with a vocal
> by his trombonist Jack Fulton.

Victor 22882, 3 Dec 1931, mx 70644- .

> I bought it back in 1978 along with that Columbia
> I have of Crosby on "I Kiss Your Hand,Madame".

Columbia 1851-D, 24 May 1929, mx W148619-2.

> That's the only Columbia I have of Crosby on that label.I'm familar
> with all
> the records he did for OKeh with Trumbauer and Bix as well as his
> solo work for
> Brunswick.I had a very battered Brunswick of him doing
> Charmichael's "Star Dust".

Brunswick 6169, 19 Aug 1931, mx E37087- .

(Sheesh...look at me spewing disco-data like I'm a computer or
somethin'...)

All good stuff.

The discussion is veering away from Ray Heatherton, a fellow I'm not
all that familiar with...

Take care,

Joe
—