[78-L] Groove Scum

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 07:58:01 PDT 2010

Occasionally I purchase 78's seemingly unplayed. I wash them with
Nitty-Gritty, vacuum and then record them for easier listening. I bought 30
such records the other day. No scratches, shave in the reflection 78's. By
the end of playing virtually each record muddy  distortion is audible, and
when I clean the 78 stylus tip black gobs of scum appear.

I know he answer is clean them better, but how? Don't want to toothbrush an
E+ appearing record, but want them to play as pristine as they appear.

df