[78-L] You want some cheese with that whine? (was "I'll Bet...")

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Oct 6 13:06:29 PDT 2010

There is a Latin phrase "caveat emptor" that means "let the buyer beware." If you see that a seller is used to selling non-breakable items and not records, it's always wise to send along a "how-to" instruction list on how to pack fragile 78s. They don't necessarily have to have a history of bad feedback. I don't think it's ignorant or rude to remind people that you need to communicate with sellers and not assume that they know how to pack records. I've actually come to the point where I have sent packing materials and instructions to sellers when I won a really valuable item. You can't be too careful. Some sellers appreciate the hints. Others take it as lecturing and will do what they want anyway. You, as a buyer, have the choice of trusting the seller or not. If you trust them and they don't deliver - then either educate them or don't deal with them anymore. It's as simple as that.

Cary Ginell