[78-L] Radio blues

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 26 09:06:02 PDT 2010

Not only CBL..a few other CBC AM stations had terrific range. I had a listener
in Spirit Lake, Iowa who could get a signal from Winnipeg if she kept her foot
on the radio and it didn't get blotted out by a signal from Mexico. We were
also on short wave and I heard from listeners in West Covina, CA and Finland.

Then I spent a couple of days in Montreal and heard my pre-recorded programs
there and found out why I had so few listeners there (other than the infamous
Saul Avrutick, who was probably really Mordecai Richler). They had the worst AM
signal I'd ever heard.

Speaking of Mordecai, I don't know if this episode made it into the new film of
"Barney's Version", but in the book the hero torments his ex-wife who hosts a
popular request program on the CBC by writing requests under different names,
always asking for "Bluebird of Happiness". Two guesses who was the host of a
popular request program in the early 80s and what record we always had to play.

dl