[78-L] EDDIE FISHER

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 12:48:51 PDT 2010

Eddie Fisher and his bad sense of time: During recording sessions, Fisher
had someone tap him on the shoulder to cue him when to come in and sing.
Nelson Riddle told me this himself; for the album they made together (Games
That Lovers Play), the orchestral tracks were recorded first and then he was
overdubbed. Riddle saw this. To him this was insane.

Doris Day absolutely loved jazz, and it is reflected on some of her
recordings. She was married to two musicians, one of whom, George Weidler,
was a lead alto player with beautiful phrasing (he can be heard with the
Stan Kenton Orchestra). Once Day was asked who some of her favorites were,
and one of the first names that came up was Ray Charles. She said he had a
very distinctive, sexy sound and she played his records all the time.

Things would have been very interesting if she'd gone the route of Rosemary
Clooney and played dates with small groups of great jazzmen singing the
classic standards. I believe she would have shocked people who knew her from
the pop material she was forced to record. Unfortunately, she was married to
Marty Melcher, a real swine and a crook who called the shots and insisted
she have that virginal image. She is the total opposite of that. Her
autobiography is one of my favorite books about a star in the music
business.

Jeff Sultanof