[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Sep 21 19:37:20 PDT 2010

From: "Kristjan Saag" <saag at telia.com>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
> > "Easy listening" is (and is supposed to be?!) a nice pleasant and
> INoffensive sound to keep one's ears "busy" while
> > NOT requiring any effort from one's brain...?!/snip
> > One can use almost ANY contact with "the outside world" to exemplify
> this "content vs. blah" concept!
> --
> Steven says:
> Content is brain
> Non-content is blah
> And brain is supposed to be better than blah.
> Children don't always agree. Neither did Dada. Neither does zen.
> Eric Satie laughed at it, as does Brian Eno (ambient music).
> The notion of content as superior to non-content is a very intellectual,
> basically bourgeois and definitely Lutheran misconception. It says: we
> have to work (our brains) even in our pastimes. Never let go. Never
> forget our duties.
> Don't just play around, kid!
> (Sigh.)
> Kristjan

If that were actually true, we would have NO reason to expend the effort
and money to find and purchase 78's...?! All we would want/need for our
music would be a nice content-free "easy listening" CD or two (or the
MP3 equivalents?!).  I would guess that virtually all of us track down
and purchase 78's simply because almost all of their musical "content"
is NOT available otherwise?!

I happen to enjoy virtually all of the music recorded from c.1890 to
the mid-forties...and have a nostalgic interest in the "rock'n'roll" of
1954-59...as well as the "rock" of the 60's and 70's! OTOH, I CAN'T
imagine suffering through something like "Mantovani's Greatest
Hits"...?!

Steven C. Barr