[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Sep 22 03:29:54 PDT 2010

I wrote:

>>> Steven says:
>>> Content is brain
>>> Non-content is blah
>>> And brain is supposed to be better than blah.
>>> Children don't always agree. Neither did Dada. Neither does zen.
>>> Eric Satie laughed at it, as does Brian Eno (ambient music).
>>> The notion of content as superior to non-content is a very intellectual,
>>> basically bourgeois and definitely Lutheran misconception. It says: we
>>> have to work (our brains) even in our pastimes. Never let go. Never
>>> forget our duties.
>>> Don't just play around, kid!
>>> (Sigh.)

Steven replied:

--
I'm not saying that music with "content" should be replaced by music
without "content".  It's the normative approach that's troublesome: the
notion that one type of music is superior to the other. In this case:
that good music HAS to activate our intellect and/or emotions - or it
isn't good music.
I happen to eat both sausages and burgers, pasta and pizza, ice cream
and pudding. And, I assure you, it's perfectly possible to enjoy both
the intellectual/ emotional way of listening and the intellectually
passive/ meditative. What usually prevents us from the latter is our
cultural codes: effort, responsibility, presence, seriousness...which
also define quality. And help to define our tastes.
Tastes change, in society as within ourselves. We live in a time when
the "lazy" approach, the slacker's attitude towards art and labour has
become more dominant. It helps to produce a lot of crap, but so has
periods of serious  persistence. The good thing with the present
easiness is that it has freed creativity that used to be bound within
certain aesthetic hierarchies. The curious young musician today has
skipped those hierarchies and looks everywhere to find inspiration,
samples Arthur Lyman one day, Billie Holiday the next. Mantovani isn't
excluded, neither is Stravinsky or Patti Page's Doggy.
These kids like to play - and I hope they stay kids that way.
I wish we could too, more than we are. The first step would be to stop
vomiting over the playfulness in others, just because the games they
play don't fit our taste.
Kristjan