[78-L] 78 taping--WAS: Scrapple from the Apple

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Sep 20 16:28:19 PDT 2010

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> Mark,  As most of my pals on 78-L know (and to their uniform disgust),  I
> have no equipment to digitize,  transfer,  burn,  pillage, record,  or do
> anything else with my 78s except just play them and yap about them.
> Which,  I'm guessing,  is also one of the things I have in common with Mr.
> Barr !?

Sadly...not quite...?! I haven't yet set up a working 78 player. What I
plan to do is to connect  a nice ceramic-cartridge "record player" I
found at a yard sale for $5 a few years back, by wiring the cartridge
output to a 1.8" "mini-phone-jack" which will then be plugged
into the "Line In" of my computer' sound card. Since a ceramic
cartridge has a one-volt output, it will (should, anyway) work as
a "Line In" signal. I used a similar set-up for a number of years
before I moved out here to Oshawa (after most of my belongings
were sold off at VERY low prices by some EX-friends...long sad
story...!); the "heart" of my sound system was a Sony r2r deck
which my brother had purchased while in the USAF in Viet Nam...
and I fed the output of a 196? RCA "record player" into the
deck's "Line In." I had a cassette deck tied in with the r2r deck...
and could thus copy my 78's onto cassette (I used to tape 78's
for Lennick for CB broadcast, as well as Glen Woodcock for
his CJRT "big band" show. Back then, I didn't know WHY it
worked so well...?!

Steven C. Barr