[78-L] 78 taping--WAS: Scrapple from the Apple

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 20 17:15:16 PDT 2010

  On 9/20/2010 6:28, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "Taylor Bowie"<bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> Mark,  As most of my pals on 78-L know (and to their uniform disgust),  I
>> have no equipment to digitize,  transfer,  burn,  pillage, record,  or do
>> anything else with my 78s except just play them and yap about them.
>> Which,  I'm guessing,  is also one of the things I have in common with Mr.
>> Barr !?
>>
> Sadly...not quite...?! I haven't yet set up a working 78 player. What I
> plan to do is to connect  a nice ceramic-cartridge "record player" I
> found at a yard sale for $5 a few years back, by wiring the cartridge
> output to a 1.8" "mini-phone-jack" which will then be plugged
> into the "Line In" of my computer' sound card. Since a ceramic
> cartridge has a one-volt output, it will (should, anyway) work as
> a "Line In" signal. I used a similar set-up for a number of years
> before I moved out here to Oshawa (after most of my belongings
> were sold off at VERY low prices by some EX-friends...long sad
> story...!); the "heart" of my sound system was a Sony r2r deck
> which my brother had purchased while in the USAF in Viet Nam...
> and I fed the output of a 196? RCA "record player" into the
> deck's "Line In." I had a cassette deck tied in with the r2r deck...
> and could thus copy my 78's onto cassette (I used to tape 78's
> for Lennick for CB broadcast, as well as Glen Woodcock for
> his CJRT "big band" show. Back then, I didn't know WHY it
> worked so well...?!

Although I had a few more gizmos in between, that is just what I used to
do when I was a teen, in my daddy's living room. I recorded all of the
records I got from my grampa. Like "Turnip Greens" by the Westerners and
"He Said-She Said" by the Andrews Sisters.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.