[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Sep 19 21:54:44 PDT 2010

From: "Matthew Duncan" <recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com>
> Mantovani may convey some emotion (not that I have ever detected any in
> his
> work) but I find no intensity there...that's what I look for in music as
> well as
> emotion(s)...
> Both intensity and emotion(s) are to be found in the work of artists and
> pieces
> of music I like...Son House, Charley Patton, Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf,
> Otis
> Spann, Louis Armstrong, Albert Ammons, Jerry Lee Lewis, Frank Hutchison,
> Peggy
> Lee, Billie Holiday, Blind Boy Fuller, Curtis Jones, Sonny Burgess, Ray
> Taylor,
> Warren Smith, Johnny Cash, Onie Wheeler, Dock Boggs, Vince Taylor, Gene
> Vincent,
> Little Richard....Beethoven, Chopin, Rachmaninov....
> But not Mantovani or any other purveyor of Easy Listening in my view...
> But I respect the fact that anyone can like what they want...but I'll
> never dig
> Mantovani, Stanley Black etc...

Well, the whole point of "easy listening"music was that it didn't...in fact,
COULDN'T...offend anybody?! Thus, it is like comparing a McDonalds
sandwich to an actual MEAL...?! "Easy listening" is (and is supposed to
be?!) a nice pleasant and INoffensive sound to keep one's ears "busy"
while NOT requiring any effort from one's brain...?!

Same way a McBurger has a nice inoffensive taste and fills your
stomach...but one doesn't have to think "Do I actually ENJOY
consuming this thing...?!)

One can use almost ANY contact with "the outside world" to
exemplify this "content vs. blah" concept! Since I am trying
to collect/accumulate examples of as many 78rpm phonorecords
as possible...I happily buy 78's knowing that I will NOT obtain
any particular pleasure from listening thereunto...?!

However, there are also, for example, clothing retailers that
offer me clothes that I might buy only to stay warm and dry...?!

Steven C. Barr