[78-L] Musical genres--was: Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Sep 17 20:38:09 PDT 2010

From: "Ken Matheson" <kenmath at yahoo.com>
>      It is not good to look down on someones choice of music. However
> most people tend to do it. The only statement a person on this list
> or off should make about someone elses choice of music, should be
> "I prefer a different kind of music.". All music is a good choice for
> someone
> out there.

Nonetheless, this sort of discrimination continues...and WILL continue...
primarily based on social, NOT musical, realities...! "Classical" music
socially "outranks" supposedly-lesser forms...with blues and "hillbilly"
assumed to be genres only accepted by lower-class members of our
population...?! This, sadly, dates back to a North American social
structure of 1900-19?? when the rich (and thus "superior") class
visited opera houses, purchased expensive (themselves an implied
class-superiority thought...?!) classical recordings, and disdained
"low-class" popular music/recordings...?!

After all, in a new world of 7-digit executive bonuses and/or
athletic "salaries," it is an assumed "given" that he (very rarely
"she?!") who receives these huge sums is thus somehow
superior to the hapless peasants who earn ALMOST enough
to live in-doors and eat regularly...?!

Add to this the racial divide separating rap/"hip hop" from
Caucasian "rock" (trapped in a horribly repetitive pattern...?!)

Comment ca va...?!

Steven C. Barr