[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Sep 17 09:11:05 PDT 2010

  On 9/17/2010 11:40 AM, Matthew Duncan wrote:
> Mantovani may convey some emotion (not that I have ever detected any in his
> work) but I find no intensity there...that's what I look for in music as well as
> emotion(s)...

Every performer you mention is a soloist.  The three classical composers
you mention wrote solo works and also were famous solo performers in
their own right.  You are comparing them to an ensemble leader, and then
to the easy listening format in general.  The operative word is EASY.
The only emotion that an easy listening performance is supposed to
project is detachment.  Don't blame something that is designed NOT to
present excitement for not expressing excitement.  There are more
emotions other than excitement, which apparently is what you are looking
for in music.  Most performers have some nitch that they do better than
they can do others.  There are very few on your list that I would choose
to listen to if I want to just chill out.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com