[78-L] Scrapple from the Apple

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Sep 16 11:50:45 PDT 2010

> I'm a Scrappyphile as you well know. That doesn't mean I'm uncritical of
> his work, though much of his lesser efforts could be put down to poor
> material and the pressures of being a studio vocalist. They didn't have
> the advantage of later singers' performances, with their big production
> values, string orchestras, individually honed arrangements and tape
> editing, not to forget the publicity. And probably a chauffeur-driven
> limousine to take them to the studio!
>
>      Julian Vein

Not to be a crapper on the Scrapper,  but Mr. Lambert does share some of the
blame,  along with some pretty dreary material.  The way he tends to slide
into notes at the high end of his range just makes me cringe...and when it's
on a gender-bender song like In My Little Hope Chest (Majestic DO on
Perfect,  I think),  it's really too much.  I still have flashes of terror
as I picture Scrappy fondling his "feathered slippers" and  examining "the
daintiest of lingerie."

Besides the side by The Captivators I mentioned,  my other top fave of
Scrappy is his vocal on the Romeo-Cameo version of "Broken Hearted" by Sam
Lanin,  issued under several different pseudonyms.  For one thing,  the
arrangement is superb,  the band is totally in the groove,  and Scrappy
really tears it up with a very rhythmic and musical vocal!

While we're on the topic of vocals,  I'd like to tip everyone to a
Cameo-Romeo vocal of "Is It A Sin" which is by Irving Kaufman but is issued
under the name of "Harry Smith."  Fantastic jazz accomp on it...a most
pleasant shock when I first heard it hears ago.  Oddly,  the only other
version of the song I've seen on record is a purple label Capitol of
Ellington with Al Hibbler from about 25 or 30 years later.

Taylor