[78-L] Scrapple from the Apple

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Sep 17 16:54:44 PDT 2010

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> While we're on the topic of vocals,  I'd like to tip everyone to a
> Cameo-Romeo vocal of "Is It A Sin" which is by Irving Kaufman but is
> issued
> under the name of "Harry Smith."  Fantastic jazz accomp on it...a most
> pleasant shock when I first heard it hears ago.  Oddly,  the only other
> version of the song I've seen on record is a purple label Capitol of
> Ellington with Al Hibbler from about 25 or 30 years later.

In fact, I discovered this side quite by accident; I originally bought the
record simply to fill a "gap" in my "ef78rem" project. Played the A
side, which is typically routine...then turned tt over to hear the B
side...and was pleasantly surprised to say the least...! NO idea why
the house band was "turned loose"...and wonder if it ever happened
again...?!

Steven C. Barr