[78-L] Well EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE!!!

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:33:05 PDT 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> And even worse than what Cary and others have mentioned...some posters here
> have belittled the singing of SID GARY which does not please me.  What kind
> of a world have we made for ourselves where Sid is not held in the highest
> regard by the musical public?
>
> By the same token,  I loathe much of what Scrappy Lambert put on wax...and I
> don't  like a lot of his singing,  either (haha Joke).
>
> But that doesn't make me smarter or Scrappy-ites dumber and for all we know
> Sid and Scrappy might have been each other's biggest fans.  And there are
> some Scrappy sides where he really hits his mark,  e.g. The Captivators on
> Brunswick of "Building a Nest For Mary."  Great singing with more than a
> little jazz feel to it.  And even I tend to cringe a little at Sid Gary's
> version of "Sonny Boy."  Makes the Jolson version sound like Whispering Jack
> Smith.
>
> I do plead guilty to having been at times sophisticated,  snobbish and
> ludicrous...sometimes all at once.
>
> Last...on more than one occasion...on MANY occasions...I have returned to a
> record,  or a band or a singer which I was sure I "didn't like" and
> discovered...hey,  this stuff is all right!
>
> Taylor
---------------------------
By an historical accident, Gary has to be well-known to the jazz
fraternity. He's present on that great Ellington side, "I Can't Realize
You Love Me."

I'm a Scrappyphile as you well know. That doesn't mean I'm uncritical of
his work, though much of his lesser efforts could be put down to poor
material and the pressures of being a studio vocalist. They didn't have
the advantage of later singers' performances, with their big production
values, string orchestras, individually honed arrangements and tape
editing, not to forget the publicity. And probably a chauffeur-driven
limousine to take them to the studio!

      Julian Vein