[78-L] e-bay bidding

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Sep 13 14:22:48 PDT 2010

I think Buster is correct,  although all our theories are pretty anecdotal
about what is "good" and "bad" for auctions,  bidders and sellers.

I've gotten to the point where I have so much stuff as it is that I just
can't go into a tizzy if I miss something.  I don't snipe,  but I usually
wait until a few hours are left to go and then bid.

The one thing...the ONE thing...which bugs me on eBay is not the sniping,
it's the bids from the fraidy cats who try to top your bid by making their
own bids in teeny-tiny increases...and they do so all at once,  not as if
they've spent some time thinking it over or doing price-comparison.

No,  I've seen times when I've bid $15 and something on a $1.99 starting
bid,  and some weak-willed type comes along and bids $2.08,  then $2.58,
Then $3.08,  then $3.58, etc. etc. until they just top my bid.  When I see
this and have the time to do so,  I usually make a second bid at a much
higher amount,  mainly just to torture Mr. Step-Bidder.

As Buster says,  figure out what YOU want to pay and just leave it be...if
someone pays a buck more or a hundred bucks more,  let them have it.  For
some reason or another,  they are willing to pay more than you.

Taylor