[78-L] e-bay bidding

buster busterdog at mac.com
Mon Sep 13 14:07:26 PDT 2010

It might help if you think about it like this:

When one previews at a live auction, most folks will get a mental notion of the absolute highest price they'd ever be willing to pay for an item.

In modern online auctions, you simply take that amount and enter it into the snipe bid. Then forget about it. Find out later whether you've prevailed, knowing you've not exceeded your own budget.

More often than not, your idea of what you're willing to pay is higher than the others' best bids, so you win. None of this incremental stuff, and none of the emotion-based overbidding like old fashioned auctions. And no elevated pulse rate, either.

Come to think of it, this isn't too different than a sealed-bid silent auction. Do folks dislike them?

-- Buster
Busterdog at mac.com