[78-L] Angel records in Canada

Bertrand CHAUMELLE chaumelle at orange.fr
Sat Aug 28 11:15:21 PDT 2010

Wrong.

EMI bought Capitol in Decembre 1954 or January 1955.

The first US Angel release was November 1st, 1953. They released not
only French Columbia but French La Voix de son Maître as well.
For instance Angel C52011 (in France: VsM SG621), which was reissued on
Pathé PAM52011.

I suppose French tracks from the Pathé catalog were also released on
Angel: artists such as Guétary, Delyle or Hélian. I don't have an
example at hand.

RCA-Victor did NOT release French tracks in the US after EMI bought
Capitol: they only recycled older tracks. For instance LPM1140/EPB1140.
Canadian La Voix de son Maître 150000 series contains French material
from Vsm (57-2000 on 45s): for instance 150407. But they stopped doing
that when Angel started. The higher numbers should be French Canadian
music.

db said that all Angel albums came from Britain, that's not true.
For instance ANG65028 "With Love From Paris" was entirely made of
French tracks.
As I said before, Angel recorded specifically French material in a NYC
studio in october 1954. Cf. LP ANG64017.

BC