[78-L] Angel records in Canada

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 27 20:47:46 PDT 2010

Beecham was an odd exception for a while, since he was actually under contract
to US Columbia. Once the split occurred, he had to be recorded by Philips to
satisfy the US demand, till he was able to go back to EMI in late 1955. That
Peer Gynt album dates from 1957.

Boy those dowel spines are a nuisance today..if they haven't broken off, they
do pretty soon. And those oversized albums (London was guilty of those as well)
that get crushed on normal size shelves..

Once again, Angel was the US issue label for English Columbia (and French
Columbia) beginning in 1953. RCA was still affiliated with HMV into 1957. EMI
bought Capitol that same year and Capitol began issuing classical albums from
that source as well as pressing Angels. RCA struck up a deal with English Decca
(around 1958?) and did a lot of co-productions but had no other way to get its
product into Europe. Capitol albums and singles had previously been pressed by
Decca in England. Somewhere in there, though, Capitol gained access to EMI
recordings well before 1957, because there are lots of Ron Goodwin and Ray
Martin singles and albums, Johnny Dankworth's amusing "Experiments with Mice"
in 1956, and more.

dl